Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Nothing beats baking on a rainy day...

Good evening!
What crazy weather we've been having! Today was mostly grey and rainy, but it had a couple surprising bright spots! When I went out for lunch around 12, I caught the best weather of the day. By 3:30, it was thundering, lightning and even hailing! I would not want to be working outside when all of that came down. I hope that D's construction workers made it inside!

In any case, the streets were wet when I got back to my apartment with my evening planned: Day One of Operation Bachelorette Cake! I made an 11X13 vanilla cake modified from Flo Braker's "Baking For All Occasions". I made it with this new vanilla paste from a small gourmet shop on Commercial Street. It was expensive but totally worth it!It is a blend of vanilla beans and vanilla extract. I also attempted a Swiss Buttercream; to be honest, I'm not sure whether I did it right! I don't have a thermometer, so I pretty much guessed that it was at the right temperature before getting it into the mixer. It whipped up into such a gorgeous consistency, sort of like Fluff! But then I added the butter... and then it melted, d'oh! It's in the fridge right now. Luckily, I still have half the butter. I'm hoping a quick chill will help the consistency before the rest is added. Cross your fingers! I need this to work out for the assembly tomorrow.

In any case, I figured I should try to get up to date with some pictures of tasty things I've baked.

From Class: Plum-Almond Cafloutis


And now a close up...



From Class: Cheese Danish (with a honey glaze)

Gorgeous layers of butter!

.. Right out of the oven.


.. and super flaky.

Well that's all for tonight. The buttercream didn't work :-( The mixture is too greasy now to hold shape. It looks like I'll need a trip to the grocery store tomorrow...!

No comments:

Post a Comment