Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Bachelorette Party!


A success!


Failed butter cream aside, I managed to pull together Heather's Bachelorette party cake pretty well if I say so myself! And I even managed to get it there in one piece (which is a bigger feat, considering Cupcake Gate August 2009). I was so incredibly happy when I finished it. The buttercream was delicious! And so much easier to do than the cooked one.. though I haven't given up on that yet! The buttercream was 3 sticks of butter, confectioner's sugar, pinch salt, vanilla bean paste and milk... whipped to oblivion. It was very rich but also super light. The cake came into shape much easier than I thought, too. After shaping them, I did a quick crumb frosting and then sandwiched the cake with some buttercream and raspberry preserves. The piping was quick, and a trail of coarse yellow sugar crystals on the sides pulled it together!

Here is a full shot of the cake, placed on the table at the Bachelorette party! (Ignore the tiny penis confetti around it... girls just wanna have fun! )


The piping came out pretty well.. minor spacing issue aside :-) I was pretty pumped- the small "Welcome" cookies are made from the tart dough (pate sucree!) They were tasty.. and wicked easy to make. I'm glad I didn't try to pipe them instead. I really like the 3d effect.



Here's one from the side..


You can really see the air bubbles in my buttercream. I tried to smooth them out, but to no avail. To be completely fair.. this was my first "big cake" and I was pretty stressed out about just getting it to the party! It is a little wonky on the sides from transport, but nothing wicked bad happened...So.. I really consider it a success! If anything, I've learned from my mistakes!

Now, as for the Bachelorette party...

It was a really fun (and completely innocent) night! We all warmed up with some pina coladas, cake and silly games before heading to Common Ground in Allston for 90s night. What fun! After waiting outside in line (seriously! I couldn't believe they didn't let us hop the line, in our Vegas-y shower costumes!) we finally made it inside right before they cleared the room for dancing. And the music was great! It's funny how you can remember song lyrics even if you haven't heard the song in years! There was a lot of singing and dancing; drinking and laughing. I got to see some good friends from high school too, and having them there really made it! I don't get to go down to Boston very often, and when I do, I'm happy to be able to catch up with a lot of people. And when different groups can come together on the dance floor? Even better! Definitely a successful evening... even if we didn't get into bed until late.

Believe it or not, the wedding is next week! That means wedding cake... yum. I'll definitely be back before then though, since I have my Baking Challenge ending soon!

Hope you all have a good night!



1 comment:

  1. it was such a delicious cake!! thanks again candace! it was amazing!

    ...and this is going to be a very dangerous blog, i can tell. it's not even 9 and now i'm craving sweets! lol

    can't wait to see what else you come up with! everything looks so good!

    <3 heather :)

    ReplyDelete